What are the symptoms of sugar addiction? Some people ask me this as they’re unsure whether they have a little sweet tooth or if it’s something deeper such as addiction.
For me finding out is as simple as asking these 2 questions,
Do you say you are never going to eat something containing sugar again such as chocolate only to find you’re eating it again very soon after making that promise?
Do you say you’re only going to have a little but then end up having a lot?
For me I used to make these big promises to my self after a binge that I’d never eat chocolate again only to find my self eating it again and sometimes as soon as the next day.
I would also say I’d only have a little bit of chocolate or sweets only to end up eating far more than I wanted to the point I felt sick.
These are the symptoms that made it clear that I was addicted but there’s also a few other symptoms of sugar addiction that might help you decide for your self if you are addicted to the white stuff (sugar that is).
Do you have any of these symptoms of sugar addiction?
- Do you get irritable when can’t get any sugary foods?
- Do you make late night trips to the shop to get something to satisfy your sweet tooth?
- Do you experience any of these withdrawal symptoms when you haven’t had sugar for a few days: anxiety or jumpiness, shakiness or trembling, sweating, insomnia, depression, irritability, fatigue or loss of appetite and headaches?
- Do you continue to eat sugar despite the negative consequences on your health like obesity, diabetes etc?
- Do you hide your sugar consumption? Going out the way to hide your sugar consumption by stashing supplies or going out to get some on your own?
- Do you try to stop eating sugar then crave it whilst feeling low/depressed till you eventually give in and eat something sugary which is followed by a feeling of happiness/relief?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above you may be addicted to sugar and you should seriously think about giving it up and going through a detox.
You will be surprised at the benefits of quitting sugar and at how good you’ll feel once sugar is out of your life and you’re free to live without that sweet poison ruling you anymore.
It’s a liberating experience cutting sugar out of your life, it’s something you should try for yourself!
Have you experienced any of the symptoms of sugar addiction? Share in the comments below some examples of how sugar addiction may have affected your life.