This Sugar Free Shortbread Recipe is beaut! And who ever said you can’t have tasty treats when you cut sugar out of your diet. You’ve just got to make sure any sugar replacement you use isn’t loaded with fructose like most are. Honey and agave nectar are an example.
My 2 favourite things to use are pure glucose powder and rice malt syrup. Glucose is a fine powder that has a slightly sweet taste. Not as sweet as sugar but once you detox of the white stuff you’ll find it is a good swap. Rice malt syrup is like golden honey. It’s very sweet and very similar to golden syrup. They’re both fructose free which is just what we’re after!
Anyway I hope you enjoy this tasty treat!
Sugar Free Shortbread Recipe
This recipe makes 12-16 slices (depending on how big you make the slices)
You’ll need 1 oven tray lined with baking paper.
Oven temperature: 150°C (140°C if using fan forced) (gas mark 2-3)
Baking time: 35-40 minutes or until a nice golden brown.
Here’s what you’ll need!
160g softened chopped butter
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 cup Dextrose Powder (glucose powder)
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line the baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the plain flour, rice flour, dextrose and butter into a bowl and mix with your fingers until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and mix with your hands and gather into a smooth ball.
- Place dough onto baking tray and using your hands or a rolling pin, press the ball of dough until it’s the thickness you want, then using a knife score it into slices.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until it’s golden in colour. Cool for 5 mins and then transfer to a wire rack and when cooled break it into it’s slices.
That’s it! Nice and simple and perfect with a cuppa! Make you share these around as they pack a few calories!